Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Burra Kebabs And Kulfi


We usually eat in since Indra's food is so good, but the other day we were running round Delhi all day so we decided to stop for some takeout on the way home. We knew exactly what we wanted - burra kebabs from Swagath in Defense Colony Market.

From the menu: "Pesawari Barrah Kabab - tender lamb chaps (yes, chaps) marinated with sour cream, special herbs and condiments cooked in clay oven" These thick-cut lamb chops (they say lamb, but I have a feeling that most lamb is actually goat since I haven't seen many sheep around here) are the most tender, melt-in-your-mouth, delicious things I've ever had. The spices are subtle and rich and a nice Spanish Tempranillo or Garnacha would have been perfect with them but, alas, I had to settle for some Indian Sauvignon Blanc.

We ordered dal makhani, a super-rich, creamy black dal on the side and some thin roomali roti.

Rajiv also had to get some kulfi from the Defense Colony Market kulfi walla (a good one, there's always a line in front of his cart) which we had at home too. They serve the ice cream with vermicelli noodles and it ends up looking like ice cream soup. I have to say I'm not too crazy about noodles in my ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment